Tod Evans, chairman Peugeot Citroen Automobiles UK Ltd, has today been re-elected as president of SMMT.
Commenting on the announcement at the Society”s Annual General Meeting in London, Tod Evans said, ”I am proud and privileged to continue as president of SMMT for the coming year. SMMT has achieved a great deal for its members in the last year including the successful organisation of Motor Show Live and the CV Show, as well as being appointed to run the new Automotive Academy on behalf of the Industry.
”In the year ahead, we must build on these achievements, making sure that SMMT delivers cost-effective services to members while supporting the development of the automotive sector in the UK. I want to ensure that the well being of our sector remains a priority for government and that we continue to grow the influence and effectiveness of ground breaking initiatives such as the Industry Forum and Foresight Vehicle Programme.”
Key issues affecting the industry in the coming year include:
• Making sure that the EU Emissions Trading Scheme is implemented in a manner that protects UK competitiveness
• Influencing new regulations on the use on mobile air conditioning, pedestrian protection and chemicals policy
• Finalising UK legislation on end of life vehicles
• Ensuring that the UK continues to be the best place to produce automotive products
Mr Evans concluded, ”In my role as president, I am particularly looking forward to hearing Dr Bernd Pischetsrieder, president of ACEA, when he joins us to celebrate the year”s successes at the SMMT annual dinner on 23 November.”
Notes to Editors
1. Tod Evans began his motor industry career in 1962 when he joined Ford Motor Company working in a range of areas including domestic and export sales and marketing.
2. In 1981 he joined Talbot Motor Company as Marketing Director, and then moved to Sales and Marketing of Peugeot Talbot in 1984. In 1999 he was appointed Managing Director of Peugeot Motor Company plc.
3. Tod Evans became chairman of PSA Peugeot Citroën UK Ltd in March 2003 and was elected to his first term as SMMT president on 23 June 2003.
4. Recent SMMT presidents include:
2003-2002 Mike Baunton CBE
2002- 2001 Nick Reilly CBE
2000-2001 John Neill CBE
1999-2000 Sir Ian Gibson CBE
1998-1999 Trevor Bonner CBE
1996-1998 Ian G McAllister CBE
1995-1996 George Simpson (now Lord Simpson)
1994-1995 Peter T Ward
1993-1994 Geoffrey Whalen CBE (now Sir Geoffrey Whalen CBE)
1991-1993 Colin Hope (now Sir Colin Hope)
1990-1991 Derek Barron