The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders held its first International Automotive Summit on 24 November 2009. The event provided senior industry executives from across the sector, government officials and journalists a unique opportunity to openly debate the key issues affecting one of the UK’s most valuable industries.
It considered the future role of automotive manufacturing in the UK and global economies, the development of innovative technologies, investment in research and development and the intricate relationship between consumers and the industry. Thought-provoking key note speeches and informed debates provided an insight to the future growth of the automotive sector.
Full details from the event including keynote speech transcripts, audio files and presentations can be downloaded below.
- SMMT International Automotive Summit Programme
- Lord Peter Mandelson, secretary of state for business, innovation and skills
- Ravi Kant, vice chairman, Tata Motors Ltd
- Session one: Building a balanced economy
- Session two: The technology challenge
- Session three: Conflicting influences on buying behaviour
- Closing address – Paul Everitt