- Van and truck market up 10% in May with 25,327 registrations, rolling year up 3.7% to 294,653.
- Truck registrations up 31.5% at 4,024 in the month, rolling year up 24.5% to 47,389.
- Van registrations up 6.7% to 21,303 units in May, rolling year up 0.4% to 247,264.
UK van and truck registrations: 2012 and % change on 2011
|May||% change||Year-to-date||% change||Rolling year||% change|
“The truck market continued its strong progress, up 31.5% this month and there was a welcome return to growth for the van market, its first rise of 2012,” said Paul Everitt, SMMT Chief Executive. “It’s too early to know if the change in fortunes for the van market is a sign of things to come, but coupled with the strong truck performance, it is a welcome signal of increased confidence across the commercial vehicle sector.”
- Van volumes rose 6.7% in May, the first year on year growth of 2012. For the five months to May, registrations were down by 11.7%. The focus of growth was vans to 2t, with total registrations up 11.6% on last May, but still 21.9% down over the five months; they typically comprise less than 20% of all van registrations.
- Yet again, truck registration growth was robust; the 20th consecutive month of growth. The recent growth trend in 2-axle rigid volumes remains firm, with notably strong rises in the 3.5 to 6t category. Artic volumes have fallen for four consecutive months to May 2012, now at an annual level around 18,000 units.
Click through to download the full SMMT new van and truck news release and data tables for May 2012.