SMMT’s 17th Sustainability Report, which reviews data from 2015, has seen a further increase in the number of signatories and has a new focus – the complete product life-cycle from production, through in use performance to end-of-life. This is timely as mandatory targets now require 95% of the vehicle (by weight) be reused, recycled or recovered.
The Sustainability Report covers four key areas:
The Sustainability Report includes a range of case studies – read them here.
What is sustainability?
Sustainability is achieving the right balance of economic progress, environmental care and social responsibility.
Another widely-cited definition from the 1987 Brundtland Report states, “Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”.
UK Automotive in summary
Report signatories (brand)
- Alexander Dennis (Alexander Dennis)
- Aston Martin Lagonda (Aston Martin, Lagonda)
- Bentley Motors Limited (Bentley)
- BMW Group (BMW, MINI, Rolls-Royce)
- Bosch (Bosch)
- CabAuto (CabAuto)
- Caterpillar (Caterpillar, Perkins)
- CEVA Logistics (CEVA Logistics)
- Covpress Assembly Ltd (Covpress Assembly Ltd)
- DHL (DHL)
- Ford Motor Company Limited (Ford)
- General Motors UK Limited (Vauxhall)
- GKN Driveline Limited (GKN)
- Honda (UK) and Honda of the UK Manufacturing Limited (Honda)
- IBC Vehicles Limited (Vauxhall)
- Jaguar Land Rover Ltd (Jaguar Cars, Land Rover)
- Leyland Trucks (DAF Trucks)
- Michelin Tyre plc (Michelin)
- Nissan Motor Manufacturing (UK) Limited and Nissan Technology Centre Group (Infiniti, Nissan)
- Optare (Optare)
- Pritex (Pritex)
- PSA Peugeot Citroen Automobiles UK Limited (Citroen, Peugeot)
- Schaeffler (Schaeffler)
- Toyota (GB) plc and Toyota Motor Manufacturing (UK) Limited (Lexus, Toyota)
- Unipart (Unipart Logistics)
- Volkswagen Group (UK) Limited (Audi, SEAT, Skoda, Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles)
- Volvo Cars UK Limited (Volvo)
Click through to download the full 2016 Sustainability Report.