International funding and support
SMMT works closely with UK Trade and Investment (UKTI) and other government agencies that offer a range of funding opportunities and support aimed at enhancing UK business performance abroad.
SMMT is a key delivery partner for UKTI Automotive Sector Group. We are an Accredited Trade Organisation (ATO) providing contract delivery, project management and access to funding for inward and outward trade missions, overseas seminars, trade shows and exhibitions.
SMMT can assist member access to a full range of UKTI support initiatives, whether that’s putting you in touch with the right person at UKTI for overseas advice, or helping you submit applications for funding. Relevant initiatives include:
- Automotive Business Opportunities Search (updated regularly)
- Key UKTI Contacts
- Overseas Market Introduction Service (OMIS): putting you directly in touch with UKTI staff in overseas offices.
- Tradeshow Access Programme (TAP): funding aimed at helping new exporters meet the cost of attendance at international exhibitions. To contact your local UKTI International Trade Team, details can be found by inputting your postcode on the export homepage of the UKTI website.
- Export Marketing Research Scheme (EMRS): a scheme to subsidise export market research.
- Export Communications Review Scheme (ECRS): a subsidised UKTI export communications review to help you evaluate how you are presenting the company to overseas customers.
- Targeted Export Support Scheme (TESS): designed to help certain companies access funding to support the development of their export strategy, usually over a 6-12 month period.
- Market Visit Support (MVS): business support through an International Trade Advisor for companies new to export or new to the markets of India, China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- Passport to Export: an assessment and skills-based programme that provides new and inexperienced exporters with training and ongoing support they need to succeed overseas.