Purpose of post:
- To promote SMMT group and the UK automotive industry to ensure a positive public profile through media coverage and events. Face to face media relations.
- To liaise with member companies, internal departments and stakeholders to identify news and communications opportunities to support the delivery of SMMT’s communications objectives and business plan.
- To build and maintain positive media relationships and respond efficiently and effectively to media enquiries to support the delivery of a first-class press office service.
- To promote the SMMT group and UK automotive sector issues, events and activities through digital and social media channels.
Qualifications / Skills / Attributes required by job holder:
(Describe with referent to abilities/qualifications such as report writing, oral presentation, accuracy, reliability, administrative, interpersonal, confidentiality, computer use, professional, managerial, languages etc)
- A clear understanding of SMMT’s role in the industry, and member requirements.
- An understanding of automotive issues, the national news agenda and public affairs.
- First-class written and verbal English skills.
- Education to degree level or beyond.
- Outstanding organisational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Strong interpersonal abilities and the ability to forge and maintain relationships.
- A positive and enthusiastic approach to team work.
- Ability to work on own initiative and under pressure to deliver to tight deadlines.
- A clear understanding of media requirements.
- Competent IT skills –Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet Explorer/ Chrome, etc.
- Confidentiality and diplomacy.
- Experience/knowledge of WordPress- based websites, SEO and social media practices and tools
Main duties include:
- Respond effectively and efficiently to media enquiries of all types, facilitating spokespeople for comment as appropriate and in accordance with SMMT policy.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Communications Manager, project-manage key issues, developing messaging, key messaging and background documents and activity plans to deliver the appropriate profile for the issue, SMMT and member companies.
- Identify, produce and edit news, digital communications and other content, ensuring messages and branding are consistent with the broader communications activity.
- Produce monthly press releases on car and CV registrations, manufacturing and pre-registration figures and write other press releases and articles as required.
- Manage the media database and press release distribution; prepare images and graphics to support copy in press releases and on digital platforms.
- Proactively build and maintain media relationships, identifying news angles and pitching stories continuously striving to increase SMMT’s media profile.
- Proactively account manage SMMT’s Bus & Coach Section, developing and executing an annual results-driven creative communications strategy; and support the Senior
- Communications Manager responsible for the CV Section, including administration of the CV Public Affairs Committee
- Liaise with members’ and stakeholders’ PR departments to improve the flow of information; and attend Committee and Stakeholder meetings, events and exhibitions relating to the sector as necessary, representing SMMT and its members as required.
- Be responsible for the management and administration of the PR Discussion Group, including production, coordination and distribution of agendas, meeting papers and minutes; coordination of member attendance; and meeting organisation; as well as regular communication with the Group.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Communications Manager, be responsible for Transport News Brief, including setting the editorial agenda and managing the content agency to ensure timely distribution and delivery of the highest editorial quality for members to raise SMMT’s profile and standing within the CV Sector.
- Ensure relevant media information is disseminated internally at SMMT and to SMT members.
- Work with the Senior Digital Manager to help develop and uphold a digital and social media strategy to promote SMMT. Assist, where needed, with other Group digital properties (TMO, Industry Forum) and the Automotive Council (20% of working week / flexing as appropriate).
- Play an active part in digital and social activity around regular press releases on vehicle registrations, manufacturing and pre-registration figures; and activity to support key events and other projects.
- Ensure all relevant web content is coordinated and effectively communicated through SMMT’s website pages and all digital channels (websites, social media, blogs, etc).
- Identify and activate opportunities to develop the SMMT group’s digital media activity to support the delivery of SMMT’s business objectives.
- Manage the production of SMMT’s annual Motor Industry Facts publication, overseeing and supporting the Press Officer in its delivery. Work with the Senior Digital Manager to develop and maintain SMMT’s online media centre, including digital format Press & PR Guide to maintain a key revenue stream and deliver best value for members and media.
- Liaise with the IT department and relevant service providers on day-to-day digital issues.
- Assist in the production of regular statistics and reports on the use of all digital media channels.
- Provide communications support to the Go Ultra Low campaign team, including meeting participation, and ensure SMMT-GUL activity is coordinated and that industry is best represented across all activity.
- Other duties as required.
The role may require out of hours work including media calls and event attendance. There is a duty press office system in place.
Method of Application:
Prospective candidates should e-mail email@example.com with a CV and covering letter quoting your salary expectations.
Early applications are encouraged as interviews will take place and the position offered before this date if a suitable candidate is found.