SMMT supports the work of consumer champion ‘Motor Codes’. This organisation is responsible for raising industry standards, offering advice and carrying out dispute resolution. For more information, go to www.motorcodes.co.uk.
Motor Codes operates three Motor Industry Codes of Practice that raise and maintain standards in the Service and Repair, New Car and Vehicle Warranty sectors.
The New Car Code covers over 99% of all new cars sold in the UK and regulates the advertising, sale, warranty, replacement parts availability and complaint handling processes for new cars.
The Vehicle Warranty Products Code represents about 70% of the industry’s major providers that administer over three million products. It covers a wide range of automotive warranty and insurance products, providing protection, advice and raising standards.
The Service and Repair Code helps motorists to identify responsible garages, offers a structured complaints procedure and promotes good customer service. More than 6,500 garages in the UK subscribe to the Code and millions of motorists benefit from its protection and standards in addition to the free advice line and dispute resolution service.
The Code commits subscribing garages to:
- Honest and fair service.
- Open and transparent pricing.
- Completing work as agreed.
- Invoices that match quoted prices.
- Competent and conscientious staff.
- A straightforward and swift complaints procedure.
It offers motorists:
- A free motoring advice line (020 7344 1651).
- An online Garage Finder tool to locate the nearest reputable garage.
- Free conciliation and low cost, legally binding arbitration.
For further information on Motor Codes visit www.motorcodes.co.uk.
Alternatively contact the free advice line on 020 7344 1651.