Last updated: 02 November 2021
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, then please contact us using the contact details provided at the bottom of this Privacy Notice.
- Link to other websites
- What does the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders do?
SMMT is the trade association for the United Kingdom automotive industry. Its role is to promote the interests of the UK automotive industry at home and abroad whilst providing services to the automotive industry.It is headquartered in the United Kingdom but with operations all around the world.
- Your data protection rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe”, “opt-out” or use the link to update your marketing preferences in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- Members, Associates and Affiliates of the SMMT: There will be some marketing information, membership services, that you will receive on an ongoing basis as part of your organisations contract with the SMMT for membership services, should you not wish to receive one please ‘unsubscribe’, ‘opt-out’ or email email@example.com
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- If you are resident in the European Economic Area; you have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. (Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available here.)
You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office – the supervisory authority that handles data protection law in the UK. You can contact them at: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/
Information Commissioner’s Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
- How is data collected and used?
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
- Information that you provide voluntarily
SMMT collects personal data on this site when you submit such data to us during member zone registration and log in (this includes your name, organisation, contact details (phone and email), job title and marketing preferences) or when you use ‘contact us’ facility. The personal data you provide will only be used by SMMT to provide you with membership services or your request, to send you marketing communications where you have requested us to do so (for example, providing access to member zone, updates and newsletters or access to services). In some limited cases (for example when you are registering to attend to an event), we may ask you to confirm if you have special dietary requirements. The personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we ask you to provide your personal information.
- Information that we collect automatically
Use of IP Addresses
- Marketing and Consent
During the member zone registration and log in process or at any point where personal data is collected by us about you, you may be asked to indicate your marketing preferences regarding SMMT sending you information about other SMMT products or services. You will only be sent information if you have requested to receive it and if having given your consent you later change your mind, you are free at any time to amend your details to remove your consent via the online Members Zone, or simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will amend your preference for you.
You may be sent information in relation to the membership services,, provided to you and your organisation as part of SMMT membership; you are able to opt out of these by amending your preference in the link provided in the communication you receive.
Membership services includes relevant news (newsletters and updates), events, services and member benefits and may share information provided by you with its group companies and with The Commercial Vehicle Show LLP for this purpose. If you do not wish to receive certain information, please let us know in writing to email@example.com or by logging into the Members Zone to update your marketing preferences.
- Legal basis for processing personal information
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent or there is a contractual relationship, where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you or your organisation, or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
Similarly, if we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third party), we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- Sharing Personal Data with Third Parties
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- to our group companies, third party services providers and partners who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of, provide functionality on, or help to enhance the security of our Websites), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes that are described in this Privacy Notice or notified to you when we collect your personal information. A list of our current group companies and current service providers is available on request;
- where you sit on a committee contact information may be shared within that group
- with our third party event planning organisations in relation to your attendance at one of SMMT’s events in the course of providing a membership service to you
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to an actual or potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any actual or proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Notice;
- to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
- Aggregated Data
SMMT aggregates personal data collected during the registration process and uses this together with the information collected via the use of ‘cookies’ to track data such as the total number of visits to our web sites, visitors to each page of our web sites, and the domain names of our visitors’ internet service providers. Third parties (including Google analytics and WordPress) may be used to assist SMMT with the aggregation process and the analysis of subsequent data obtained. We use this information, which remains in aggregate form, to improve and understand how our visitors use our web sites. Where specific services, are used aggregated data may be shared with service partners to improve and monitor services provided. NO PERSONAL DATA IS DISCLOSED IN THIS PROCESS
SMMT may place a ‘cookie’ on your computer’s browser. Cookies are small text files, which provide us with information about how often someone visits our site, and what they do during those visits. Cookies do not themselves collect any personal data but if you provide such information to any of our web sites, for example by registering with us, it may be linked to the data stored in the cookie. Where such data is used to produce aggregated data; NO PERSONAL DATA IS DISCLOSED IN THIS PROCESS. For further information about the types of Cookies we use, why, and how you can control Cookies, please see our Cookie Notice
SMMT operates secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection. SMMT has security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of your user data under our control. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Employees who have access to Personal Data have been trained to handle such data properly and in accordance with our security protocols and strict standards of confidentiality. Although we cannot guarantee against any loss, misuse, unauthorised disclosure, alteration or destruction of data, we try to prevent such unfortunate occurrences.
- Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Privacy Notice.
- International data transfers
We share your information within SMMT between our constituent companies. These transfers are protected by our internal data sharing agreement, which incorporates the European Union’s standard contractual clauses. You may request a copy of this agreement by contacting us as set out above.
- Data retention
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
If you have questions about or need further information how long we retain your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- Visiting SMMT – our offices
When you visit our offices you will be recorded by our CCTV system.
We will also record your name and the times of your arrival and departure in our visitor log; this is done to ensure your safety in the event of an evacuation of the building for any reason. We justify this processing on the basis of our legal obligation under the Health and Safety at Work Act.
- How to contact us
Should you have any queries or concerns regarding use of your personal data, please contact our Data & Compliance Manager by writing to the address 71 Great Peter Street London SW1P 2BN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.