The UK automotive industry is a vital part of the UK economy worth more than £60.2 billion turnover and adding £11.9 billion value to the UK economy.
With some 156,400 people employed directly in manufacturing and in excess of 797,300 across the wider automotive industry, it accounts for 11% of total UK export of goods, worth £42.4 billion, and invests £2.9 billion each year in automotive R&D.
More than 30 manufacturers build in excess of 70 models of vehicle in the UK supported by 2,500 component providers and some of the world’s most skilled engineers.
Over 859,000 cars , 72,913 commercial vehicles and 1.6 million engines were built in the UK in 2021.
Eight out of 10 cars produced in the UK are exported overseas to 140 different markets worldwide.
From vehicle registrations and production, to international trade, CO2 and electrification, SMMT’s Motor Industry Facts provides all the latest data and background information on the UK automotive industry.
The 37-page motor industry facts guide is a one-stop-shop covering all of the latest statistics relevant to the sector including answers to questions like:
- What is the contribution of the sector to the UK economy and jobs?
- How many cars, vans, trucks and engines are built in the UK and where do we build them?
- How much have CO2 emissions fallen by since 2000?
- How many vehicles are on UK roads?
- How will connected and autonomous vehicles improve our society?