SMMT supports the work of The Motor Ombudsman. This organisation is responsible for raising industry standards, offering information and carrying out dispute resolution. For more information, go to www.themotorombudsman.org.
The Motor Ombudsman
The Motor Ombudsman is the automotive dispute resolution body. Fully-impartial, it is the first ombudsman to be focused solely on the automotive sector, and self-regulates the UK’s motor industry through its comprehensive Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI)-approved Codes of Practice.
Businesses accredited to one or more of the codes include vehicle manufacturers, warranty product providers, franchised dealers and independent garages. The codes drive even higher standards of work and service, and give consumers added protection, peace of mind and trust during the vehicle purchase and ownership experience.
- The New Car Code covers over 99% of all new cars sold in the UK and covers the manufacturers’ obligations to consumers through advertising, warranties, availability of replacement parts and complaints handling for new cars.
- The Vehicle Sales Code provides reassurance to motorists during the vehicle purchasing process, for both new and used cars and is applicable to both main dealer and independent car retailers.
- The Vehicle Warranty Products Code represents about 70% of the industry’s major providers that administer over three million products. It covers a wide range of automotive warranty and insurance products, providing protection, advice and raising standards.
- The Service and Repair Code helps motorists to identify responsible garages, offers a structured complaints procedure and promotes good customer service. Thousands of garages, both main dealer and independent across the UK subscribe to the Code and millions of motorists benefit from its protection and standards in addition to the free advice line and dispute resolution service.
The Code commits subscribing garages to:
- Honest and fair service.
- Open and transparent pricing.
- Completing work as agreed.
- Invoices that match quoted prices.
- Competent and conscientious staff.
- A straightforward and swift complaints procedure.
It offers motorists:
- An online Garage Finder tool to locate the nearest reputable garage.
- Free access to the Adjudication and Ombudsman service.
For further information on The Motor Ombudsman visit www.themotorombudsman.org.
Alternatively contact the free advice line on 0345 241 3008.