A new vacancy exists for a Technical Manager to support the Technical Team in the specialist areas of Type Approval and Passive Safety.
PURPOSE OF POST:
- To lead as SMMT technical specialist on Type Approval and Passive Safety topics on regulations, standards, government policy and strategy in all relevant technical areas for the UK automotive industry, developing SMMT views and positions working with member companies, colleagues and stakeholders, and representing SMMT members’ views to government and other stakeholders at UK, EU and UN level.
- Lead dossiers include but are not limited to:
- GB, EU and UN Type Approval frameworks, including vehicle, system and component approval and related subjects (e.g. Conformity of Production and Market Surveillance)
- National Small Series Type Approval and Individual Vehicle Approval schemes
- Passive safety regulations and associated vehicle safety topics
- Safety recall
- To provide accurate and effective advice, briefing and support to senior management, colleagues and members on lead dossiers and responsibilities and other projects as required.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS / ATTRIBUTES REQUIRED BY JOB HOLDER:
- Professional engineer with a degree in Automotive Engineering and Chartered Engineer status (or willingness/working towards to). Other relevant engineering degrees (e.g. aerospace, marine, mechanical, manufacturing) will be considered subject to proven experience in Type Approval.
- Proven professional experience in automotive industry or relevant government departments, agencies or sister industries. This should include regulatory experience, practical engineering and/or project management positions.
- Good knowledge of the global regulatory framework for motor vehicles, experience in technical legislation and processes and awareness of current automotive issues. Able to interpret, provide guidance on requirements and shape regulatory content, policy and strategy. High awareness of the commercial and engineering context in automotive desirable.
- Highly motivated team player with the drive and ability to lead across diverse teams, projects and issues, continuously challenging and developing self and able to motivate and inspire others. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to form trusting working relationships with members, government, stakeholders and colleagues.
- Excellent communicator (written, verbal and presentational), clear, diplomatic and able to adapt to relevant context and audience. Able to command authority in technical, legal, political discussions, provide accurate and succinct briefings to senior executives, and communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences. Competent in the use of information and communication technology commensurate with duties.
- Good project management and organisational skills. Ability to multi-task, respond flexibly to needs of business and SMMT members, and organise work effectively on different projects and issues, follow and deliver on SMMT internal processes and timelines.
- Willingness to undertake regular travel, both in the UK and internationally, mainly within Europe, to attend meetings and conferences.
MAIN DUTIES INCLUDE:
- As SMMT technical specialist on Type Approval and Passive Safety within the Technical Team to provide influential expertise on core dossiers and lead related SMMT regulatory work at UK, EU and UN level, supporting departmental objectives and services and SMMT business strategy.
- To provide the secretariat to the relevant SMMT Committees/Working Groups. Pro-actively manage their agendas, papers and activities and deliver key actions arising, working with committee/working group members, SMMT colleagues, government and other stakeholders.
- To liaise and consult with member companies, government and key stakeholder on all relevant subjects and documents, to solicit member input to create an evidence base and draft influential SMMT proposals, positions, responses, papers and presentations as required.
- To represent SMMT/UK views at meetings of relevant industry, governmental and standardisation organisations in the UK, EU and globally and influence the work of relevant organisations’ working groups as appropriate.
- To provide regular technical information/circulars, briefing and support for members, SMMT colleagues and relevant SMMT committees and trade sections as required
- To deal with technical and legislative enquiries from industry, the public, and outside organisations in a professional manner
- To liaise with other teams in the Department and wider SMMT on technical matters
- To prepare succinct and clear briefing papers, slides and materials for senior management
- To keep abreast of legal, technical, policy and other developments in relevant fields
- To maintain the appropriate records and files
- To undertake any other duties or projects as directed
Prospective candidates should contact firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 January 2024, with a CV and covering letter.