SMMT’s weekly round-up, including all the latest news from UK automotive and a message from our Chief Executive.
The deadline to enter the Make it in Great Britain Challenge is fast approaching, with only a couple of weeks left in the nationwide search to find the most innovative pre-market products, processes and concepts the UK has to offer.
1. Above the line R&D tax credit consultation launched
2. £125 million Advanced Manufacturing Supply Chain fund opens
3. DECC launches consultation on simplifying the CRC scheme
4. DfT announce funding for 70 additional hybrid buses
5. New scheme to tackle UK technical skills shortage
6. Week ahead
1. European Commission backtracks on cross-border use of modular trucks
2. European commercial vehicle registrations down 11.3% in February
3. Commissioner Tajani hints at regulatory break for carmakers
4. Sixth Summit between South Korea and EU held
5. Progress in cutting EU road deaths falls to 2% n 2011
6. Week ahead
The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), supported by the Technology Strategy Board (TSB) has opened the competition for its £125 million funding initiative, aimed at helping the UK’s existing supply chain grow and achieve world-class standards.
Nissan recently signed a memorandum of understanding with Gateshead College, North East England, to develop a Zero Emission Centre of Excellence (ZECE). At the heart of this new agreement will be the creation of industry-leading electric vehicle technology, jobs and apprenticeships, while further establishing the UK as a global leader in low carbon technology.
Find out who has joined the premier automotive trade association and what they get from membership: New members – March 2012
Today, SMMT released figures for February pre-registrations in the UK new car market. The data shows the number of cars disposed of in February 2012 that were defined as pre-registrations.
Click through to download the presentation given by Yung Tran, Head of Member Services and Business Improvement at SMMT, at the Supply Chain Finance event in London on 26 March 2012.
The latest exhibit on show at SMMT is a trio of Renault electric vehicles from the company’s Z.E. range – Fluence Z.E., Kangoo Van Z.E. and Twizy – celebrating the selection’s presence in the new car market place.