Another record month as new car registrations soar in July
- New car registrations rose by 11.6 per cent in July to 173,160 units
- Registrations by private buyers soared 20.8 per cent last month
- Year to date registrations are up 5.2 per cent, to 1,442,188 units
- SMMT has revised its full year forecast upwards from 2.25 to 2.3 million
- July was the 10th consecutive month of growth in the new car marke
Commenting on the news, SMMT Chief Executive Christopher Macgowan said, ‘What
these figures tell us is that confidence is king when it comes to buying a new
car. And clearly 10 months of growth in the new car market speaks volumes. It
tells us that buyers are confident that their local franchised dealer offers
the best deal on price, specification, finance and aftersales care.’
Notes to editors
- Full year registrations hit 2,300,944 units in 1989, the highest on record.
- Private buyers accounted for 81,551 registrations last month compared to
67,493 in July 2000.
- Total registrations by private buyers from January to July reached 699,380
units in 2001, up 19 per cent on the 587,381 units for the first seven months
- November 2000, December 2000, March 2001, June 2001 and July 2001 have all
seen record numbers of new car registrations.
The attached tables show the registration figures for Great Britain, Northern
Ireland, The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands in detail. Top performers by
range and UK penetration figures are also listed. Providing the SMMT is acknowledged
as the source of this information, the figures may be quoted. Substantial reproduction
needs specific approval by the SMMT.