- Car manufacturing rose 1.2% in January to 129,049 units.
- Strong domestic demand saw output of cars built for the UK market rise 26.1%.
- Of all cars produced in January, 79.1% were exported.
- Independent analysts suggest that UK car manufacturing could grow a third bigger by 2016 with output approaching two million vehicles each year.
“UK car manufacturing grew modestly in January, up just 1.2% on the same period in 2012. Output is typically subdued in January as manufacturers extend holiday periods to upgrade plants and re-tool for new models,” said Mike Baunton, SMMT Interim Chief Executive. “Despite ongoing economic challenges, growing demand for UK-built products in emerging global markets coupled with major new investment is paving the way for a positive year for automotive manufacturing.”
|Car manufacturing||Jan-12||Jan-13||% Change||YTD-12||YTD-13||% Change|
Car output rolling year total – January 2013
UK commercial vehicle output – January 2013
- Commercial vehicle (CV) output fell 20.5% in the first month of year to 7,822 units.
- CV output for export fell 37.2% in January, while output for the domestic market grew 3.2%.
- More than half of January’s CV output was for the home market.
“Manufacturing of commercial vehicles in the UK covers a diverse spectrum of vehicles from light panel vans to heavy trucks, as well as minibuses, double-deckers and luxury coaches,” said Mike Baunton, SMMT Interim Chief Executive. “UK registrations of trucks were strong through most of 2012, but dropped off in the final quarter impacting output. However, domestic demand for buses and coaches grew significantly through 2012 on the back of government incentives and a wider focus on public transport.”
|CV manufacturing||Jan-12||Jan-13||% Change||YTD-12||YTD-13||% Change|
UK engine output – January 2013
- UK engine production declined 5.1% in January to 219,757 units.
- UK manufacturers make some 2.5 million petrol and diesel engines each year.
- International vehicle manufacturers spend millions of pounds every year to design, develop and engineer powertrains in the UK.
|SMMT data||Jan-12||Jan-13||% Change||YTD-12||YTD-13||% Change|
Click through to download the UK automotive manufacturing news release for January 2013.
If you use these figures in online editorial, please reference www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/ as the source.