Purpose of the Post:
- To play an active part of the SMMT Communications team, promoting SMMT and the UK automotive industry to ensure a positive public profile through media coverage and events.
- To take a lead on identifying, developing and delivering constantly changing news content across SMMT websites and social media with the aim of boosting traffic. This could cover news, features, audio, video, infographics etc.
- To promote the SMMT group and UK automotive sector issues, events and activities through digital media channels.
- To build and maintain positive media relationships and respond efficiently and effectively to media enquiries to support the delivery of a first-class press office service.
- To build and maintain positive relationships with SMMT members and support the delivery of communications to appropriate member groups.
- Experience of creating and editing content to suit different audiences (such as media relations, news, features, audio, video, infographics)
- Experience/knowledge of WordPress- based websites, SEO and social media
- First-class written and verbal English skills. Ability to write high standard quotes and press releases
- Strong interpersonal abilities and the ability to forge and maintain relationships.
- A positive and enthusiastic approach to team work.
- Ability to work on own initiative and under pressure to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Outstanding organisational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- A clear understanding of media requirements.
- A clear understanding of SMMT’s role in the industry, and member requirements.
- An understanding of automotive issues, the national news agenda and public affairs.
- Competent IT skills –Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and web browsers.
- Confidentiality and diplomacy.
Main duties include:
- Help to develop and uphold a digital and social media strategy to promote the work of SMMT. Assist, where needed with other SMMT Group digital properties (Motor Codes, Industry Forum) and the Automotive Council.
- Identify, produce and edit news and other content, ensuring messages and branding is consistent with the broader communications activity.
- Ensure all relevant web content is coordinated and effectively communicated through the site homepages and all digital channels (websites, social media, blogs etc).
- Identify and activate opportunities to develop the SMMT group’s digital media activity to support the delivery of SMMT’s business objectives.
- Liaise with the IT department on any day-to-day developments of SMMT’s websites. [Note: The IT and Membership department are responsible for the functionality of the members area of the website and anything beyond the login process]
- Produce regular statistics and reports on the use of all digital media channels.
- Work with other press office members to respond effectively and efficiently to media enquiries of all types, facilitating spokespeople for comment as appropriate and in accordance with SMMT policy.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Communications and International and/or the Senior Media Manager, project management of specific issues, developing key messages and activity plans to deliver the appropriate profile for the issue, SMMT and member companies.
- Play an active part in monthly press releases on car registrations, manufacturing and pre-registration figures and writing other press releases and articles as required. To both domestic and international media
- Proactively build and maintain media relationships, identifying news angles and pitching stories continuously striving to increase SMMT’s media profile.
- Liaise with members’ and stakeholders’ PR departments to improve the flow of information.
- Ensure relevant media information is disseminated internally at SMMT and to SMMT members.
- Other duties as required.
- Please note, the role may require out of hours work including media calls and event attendance. There is a duty press office rota for the press team.
Salary and benefits package:
The package includes private medical insurance, company pension scheme, flexi time, 25 days annual leave, childcare vouchers, interest free season ticket loan (after 6 months).
Deadline for Applications:
22 May 2015
Method of Application:
Prospective candidates should e-mail email@example.com with a CV and covering letter quoting your salary expectations.
Early applications are encouraged as interviews will take place and the position offered before this date if a suitable candidate is found.