Purpose of the Post:
- To promote SMMT and the UK automotive industry to ensure a positive public profile through media coverage and events.
- To liaise with member companies, internal departments and stakeholders to identify news and communications opportunities to support the delivery of SMMT’s communications objectives and business plan.
- To build and maintain positive media relationships and respond efficiently and effectively to media enquiries to support the delivery of a first-class press office service.
- A clear understanding of SMMT’s role in the industry, and member requirements.
- An understanding of automotive issues, the national news agenda and public affairs.
- Education to degree level or beyond.
- Outstanding organisational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- First-class written and verbal English skills.
- Strong interpersonal abilities and the ability to forge and maintain relationships.
- A positive and enthusiastic approach to team work.
- Ability to work on own initiative and under pressure to deliver to tight deadlines.
- A clear understanding of media requirements.
- Competent IT skills –Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet Explorer.
- Confidentiality and diplomacy.
Main duties include:
- Respond effectively and efficiently to media enquiries of all types, facilitating spokespeople for comment as appropriate and in accordance with SMMT policy.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Communications and International and/or Senior Media Manager, project management of specific issues, developing key messages and activity plans to deliver the appropriate profile for the issue, SMMT and member companies.
- Produce monthly press releases on car registrations, manufacturing and pre-registration figures and writing other press releases and articles as required.
- Proactively build and maintain media relationships, identifying news angles and pitching stories continuously striving to increase SMMT’s media profile.
- Attend meetings, events and exhibitions relating to the sector as necessary, representing SMMT and its members as required.
- Liaise with members’ and stakeholders’ PR departments to improve the flow of information.
- Ensure relevant media information is disseminated internally at SMMT and to SMMT members.
- Assist with vehicle schedule for the SMMT showroom to showcase the British Automotive Industry
- Other duties as required.
- Please note, the role may require out of hours work including media calls and event attendance. There is a duty press office system in place.
Salary and benefits package:
The package includes private medical insurance, company pension scheme, flexi time, 25 days annual leave, childcare vouchers, interest free season ticket loan (after 6 months).
Deadline for Applications:
22 May 2015
Method of Application:
Prospective candidates should e-mail email@example.com with a CV and covering letter quoting your salary expectations.
Early applications are encouraged as interviews will take place and the position offered before this date if a suitable candidate is found.